Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu May 9, 2002  1:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: acoustic properties of head voice ques.

In a message dated 5/8/2002 6:52:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, toda@m...
writes:

> I've been studying with
> women, and I've never felt like "she just doesn't get it." I get that
> much more with male teachers, actually.

tako,

this is a good observation to make. i have studied with women who
were just clueless as to how different it is for a male to sing high notes
than the way women sing them (this is in reference to classical singing).
the primary difference, in my experience with singing both ways, is that
singing as women or, counter-tenors would, means going to what i call
'falsetto' from chest or speaking voice and having to deal with negotiating
that break smoothly. singing as men would, it is more like extending the
lower range rather then going into something else. how this extension is
made is then the prime concern.

mike

emusic.com