Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <virginia@m...>
Date:  Tue May 7, 2002  3:12 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] dealing with head voice in women

Greetings Vocalisters,

how do you go about explaining the "light mechanism" action of the head
voice to young female singers?
I seem to have run into a brick wall in trying to explain it in technical
terms, short of explaining in terms of sensations and the limited
"scientific" vocabulary that I am familiar with. I'm obviously missing
something.
We have worked with using the siren exercise along with vocalising scales
and arpeggi on "vvvv" and "ng" sounds to get that lighter, pointy, smaller,
less weighty sound when flipping into the head voice, and it seems to work
for the most part in giving them an idea of the quality and differences
between the chest and head voice, but when it comes time to translate that
into general vocalises or songs- it seems that the subtle adjustments don't
happen and the tendency is to "go for broke", and just go for those higher
notes and squawk them out an any cost.
In a recent lesson with a young lady, we worked on not taking the chest
voice up too high (we've spoken about the passaggi and registration) and I'd
ask her to lighten up the sound alla the "vv' exercises- and all that
seemed to accomplish was more throat tension and frustration in her efforts
to *try* to make the sound smaller, rather than letting it happen, kind of
pushing that elephant through a tiny doorway.... (I did manage to get a
little chuckle from her on this one!)
Also, getting her to sing in the area of a4-f5 (top of the staff line) is
really difficult and fraught with tension from bringing up the chest voice
too high, and singing too heavily...

How is it that you explain this head voice thing to your female students?
How do your get them to get the head voice out of the throat, and get that
lovely "spinning" sensation??
What explanations have you used that have caused light bulbs to go on... and
stay on? I'm feeling stuck and am at a loss in finding other ways of further
explaining this *enigma"* that will make a connection with them...
Any advice, personal experiences, ideas, benefits of your wisdom would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks-

Virginia

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19045 Re: dealing with head voice in womenmrandrew18   Wed  5/8/2002

emusic.com