Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  10:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] German terminology

Thanks for the report on the Competition, by the way.
German terms in music are in such common use that they will occur in most
good music dictionaries. If your speak Flemish then you will probably find
that the terms are very similar. Not so with French of course. English
dictionaries with good selections of German terms include the Harvard and
Norton dictionaries of music, and if you have access to Die Musik in
Geschichte und Gegenwart, perhaps in an academic library, you will find
many in-depth articles on musical subjects.
The only comprehensive German dictionary in our collection (I work in a
Canadian music library) is the Musik-Lexicon of H.J. Moser (pub. Sikorski,
Hamburg 1955) which has comprehensive coverage of all musical terms,
though, depending where you live you could always just pop over the border
and even Luxemburg should have German books :o) I make it sound so easy!
I hope this is of some use. john