Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun May 5, 2002  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hey there

satindoll_14 wrote:

Anyway, I was reading that musical schools and
> conservatories and the like really like it if you have some
> performing experience. Plus, it would be personally valuble as:
>
> 1. I'm sick of singing to my mom
> 2. I have a bad case of stage fright
>
> So I was wondering if I anybody knows of any competitions, etc
> around/near Detroit, MI (I live in a suburb of it). I can't seem to
> find any! Eaither that or I'm just really out of it...

Hi, Sarah. Welsome to the list!

There are tons of ways to get performing experience.

1. Ask your teacher. Many teachers have "studio recitals",
where each student sings a song or two for an audience of
family or friends. Also, if your teacher belongs to NATS,
you can ask to sing at the annual NATS competition in your
area.

2. If you have friends who sing, get together, hire an
accompanist, and put on a recital yourselves, where four or
five of you each sing 3 or 4 songs. The first time, do it
at someone's house who has a large living or family room
with a piano. Next time, do it at a church one of you
belongs to. Then put the same program on at a nearby
retirement home or nursing home (contact the recreation
director). Once you've done it one place successfully, take
it to some other places.

3. Join a church choir if you don't already belong to one.
After you've established yourself in the choir, ask for the
opportunity to sing a solo at a service.

4. Audition for local community theater musicals, or your
high school musical.

Have fun! And welcome to the list.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19022 Re: Hey theresatindoll_14   Mon  5/6/2002

emusic.com