Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Fri May 3, 2002  3:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vocal fold burning.

<<Before finding out about the reflux I would sing and not really feel
anything terrible...but just not
sound as wonderful as I wanted to...and not be able to control pitch as well
as I wanted. >>

I am wondering if I should check this out for myself. I recently did the
Kilpinen competition and wasn't able to talk about it right afterwards
because I was so bummed by it. Despite my best efforts at preparation, and
singing like a freaking goddess in my rehearsals, when I got to the
competition, I was not able to control things as well as I wanted to. Can
we say -- at all? It was quite frustrating for me. Now I'm wondering if
reflux had anything to do with it.

I think it was one part nerves -- but usually when I open my mouth to sing,
I feel that things are working okay and that dissipates. This time, the
sound did not come out the way I'm used to hearing or feeling it (and I know
the latter is more important than the former). I could not do anything in
regards to nuance - dynamically, color, nothing.

One part of it was environment. I stayed in a monastery to save money on
expenses -- nice place, very quiet. I think it was too quiet. I don't
think I'm a person who needs to center and focus and find that soft still
place inside before a performance. I think I need to make myself crazy and
hyper, and then the performance will actually be more relaxing than the
pre-performance! Because I was calm until I got up there. It was very odd.

It was also very drafty and I can't sleep if I'm cold, so I had the heat up.
Normally, I would run the shower for awhile before bedtime and upon waking
up to get moisture, but this place was very environmentally conscious, and
again, very quiet, so I didn't want to disturb people with the sound of the
shower/waste of resources. (I was only paying $33/night including
breakfast - if I'd paid $100/night, I would have wasted resources.) I
should have brought a humidifier, vaporizer. It was dry. My lip actually
stuck to my front teeth when I went for my high note in my last song.

The other considerations were pharmocological - I took an Ambien to help me
sleep because I don't sleep well. I've never had it affect me before but
I've never sung a full program after taking it. Dryness is listed as a less
common effect but again, it had never affected me that way before. Who
knew? Also, I may have been pre-menstrual. Never affected me that way
before, but who knows??

Now I'm wondering - should I see an ENT and make sure I'm not dealing with
reflux issues?

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19010 Re: reflux - longSharon Szymanski   Fri  5/3/2002

emusic.com