Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  9:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: David Daniels' Serenade WAS: Question about Fach (tenor arias)

Tako,
I agree with you about an American School of countertenors - when I first
heard a Chanticleer recording I was bowled over by the beauty of the high
voices. In contrast with my first hearing of the (admittedly remarkable)
Hilliard Ensemble, which made my throat hurt just to hear. It is also
perhaps apropos that a reviewer in 'Gramophone' thought that DD could
better be described as a male mezzo-soprano. I hoped that the British
Amazon site would have samples from the CD for you, but they don't, though
they've have it on sale for a few weeks now. john

..... I think the