Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed May 1, 2002  8:15 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Suggestions for Basic Vocal Techniques...

Peggy,

Thanks for your comments. I have written a few responses below.

First, I personally don't like the low-larynx requirement. You can and
probably have read past discussions, and I'm of the view that the larynx is
best left to its own devices, because forcing the larynx down is as bad as
allowing it to rise. I've always personally dealt with this by thinking a
general "down" feeling from the jaw down, which gets at jaw relaxation, low
breath and avoiding a high larynx.

That's perfectly fine. I am well-aware that not everyone agrees with
laryngeal issues. Just know that I also believe that the larynx should not
be forced down. Lowering the jaw generally does lower the larynx. I tell
my students there are two ways to lower the larynx...one is "tight" feeling,
and the other is more "relaxed." We strive for the relaxed one.

Second, the stuff you initially listed says nothing about artistry and
musicianship. Nothing about languages and diction (including English
diction). Accuracy in notes and rhythms (some folks make gorgeous sounds
but can't make an accurate entrance with an accompanist to save their life).
Memorization. The effort and time the student puts into his/her voice
studies.

I probably didn't make it clear in my first post, but this is a first draft
of this list. And, I am searching for other ideas that can be quantified to
add to it. Good pronunciation of language and rhythm are two of those that
I can add. Thanks! As I was originally thinking about this "list", I was
mostly thinking of physical, or technical skills. However, memorization
certainly is objective. I already try to keep track of how much my students
practice. Of course, sometimes they lie about that, but it's usually quite
obvious when they do.

Third, and this is just my personal view, because you're the professor and
I'm not, as a student, I want to be dealt with as an individual, with
individual strengths and weaknesses to be evaluated in terms of the whole
student - not some arbitrary if well-meaning formula. Sorry - I'm not an
engineering or math problem to be solved by the teacher. I think a
student's progress should be the major basis for the grade, i.e., how far
the singer has progressed from the last time a grade was given).

I agree that there needs to be an area in grading for the progress of the
particular student (I think some test makers call it "non-normative"
grading), but I don't think that should be all. The problem I see is that
some teachers might give a particular student an "A" while three other
teachers might give that same student a "B" or a "C". I would like to be as
objective as I can...of course, I realize that there are things that will be
subjective, no matter how "objective" I try to be. That is the reason there
are no artistry issues on my list. I guess I should explain that this
wouldn't be the sole factor in determining a student's grade, but only a
portion of it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. They are very valuable
to me!

David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18994 Re: Suggestions for Basic Vocal Techniques...EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Thu  5/2/2002
18999 Other ways to make voice more objective...?David Grogan   Thu  5/2/2002

emusic.com