Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  5:53 pm
Subject:  RE: Power in different parts of the range question (TECH)

John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...> wrote:
> In sum, this is helpful, especially the bit about slackening the vocal
> chords, and about Tom Krause being physically large. I certainly identify
> with misdiagnosis of voice type - I've gone through being a bass, a tenor,
> a bass-baritone, and now I seem to be a high baritone, unless I'm actually
> a couple of singers: a baritone with a big voice and a bass with a smaller
> one! I'm a 5'8 and a half mesomorph, which really ought to suggest high
> baritone... hmmm?

Mesomorph, huh? It reminds me of the funniest thing I ever read in a
musical text. It was a section describing various voice types for the
benefit of composers. For all other voices, it discusses ranges
and tessituri. Here's a paraphrase for the heldentenor fach, though:

"Heldentenors are often 'pushed up' baritones. What's more, they often
are broad shouldered, muscular and look like heroes."

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1901 Re: Power in different parts of the range questio John Alexander Blyth   Thu  5/25/2000   4 KB

emusic.com