Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed May 1, 2002  5:10 pm
Subject:  Suggestions for Basic Vocal Techniques...

Fellow Listers,

I am trying to develop something for my studio. I am always looking for
ways to make my grading more objective, and I have this idea of certain
basic skills (I am calling them "compulsory exercises") that I can list and
that can be demonstrated. Here are a few of the ones I have thought of so
far:

Compulsories for Voice

1. Achieve good posture-this means sternum high, shoulders relaxed, neck
centered (not jutting out, or pulled back), feet shoulder-width apart, knees
not locked.
2. Demonstrate low inhalation-this means maintaining good posture, relaxing
the abdominal muscles, and allowing the breath to come in, which means the
stomach area gets wider, due to the action of the diaphragm.
3. Demonstrate proper exhalation-this means that as you exhale, you maintain
proper posture, the upper abs (right below the sternum) pooch out, and the
lower abs feel like they are tucking in. The rib cage should remain out, as
in a full inhalation. The expression "maintain the position of inhalation"
is important in your exhalation process.
4. Be able to lower larynx-this means that you can, without causing physical
distress, lower your larynx (adam's apple). The level of lowering should be
comparable to the beginning of a yawn, or on a proper inhalation.
5. Be able to sing low notes with a lowered larynx-this means you are able
to breathe in (which helps your larynx get low), and sing low pitches
without the larynx moving up and down with the pitch.

Ideally, I would like for this to a scope and sequence of sorts, where I
could assign them in order of progression. Any thoughts you might have to
add to this, or any criticism of this is welcome.

Thanks for your thoughts,

David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas