Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  5:47 pm
Subject:  RE: David Daniels' Serenade WAS: Question about Fach (tenor arias)

John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
> The disc is indeed "Serenade". The copy I heard belongs to someone who
> knows Daniels, so maybe he got an advance one? Anyway, to my taste (and the
> Gramophone reviewer) Daniels sounds best(!) in the "classical" repertoire -
> the Schubert and Gounod items are quite magical. His sound does not become
> big and wobbly or anything: his messa di voce is remarkable and his tone is
> subtle and serves the music very well. I'd like to hear Brahms sung like
> this! Some of his low notes are a bit funny, paradoxically.

Lucky you! I guess I'll just have to wait until it reaches the shelves
:) I'm looking forward to hearing him sing this period. I think the
"American school" of countertenors (full voiced) can really live in this
repertoire. My favorite Asawa CD is his "Vocalise" which is all late
19th Century and early 20th Century music.

I've read that Daniels doesn't really like using his chest voice except
for effect - I suppose that would be one incongruous thing for the
romantic repertoire which sometimes requires sumptuous lower middle
notes.

I personally am just starting to explore Strauss and Schubert for
recital ideas, and excited about hearing how he approaches this era.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1900 Re: David Daniels' Serenade WAS: Question about F John Alexander Blyth   Thu  5/25/2000   3 KB

emusic.com