Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 29, 2002  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Principles of Voice Production

lloyd,

thanks for you response re: 'loft' vs. 'head voice'. all these terms
we and 'they' use, drive me nuts. they all seem based on the coiner's
personal perceptions.

you wrote:

"In my opinion, "loft" voice IS used commonly by singers who are
amplified as a means of reducing the "singers formant" and providing
the desired "speech" quality of their performances."

in my experience with singers who regularly use amplification, none of
them know what 'singer's formant' is and, almost none of them care. (some
just see it as the lead-guitarist/sound man' problem.) when i come across a
singer who is using falsetto or, something like it, they are more often using
it to solve range problems. unfortunately, the world of pop music seems to
be allergic to tranposition. yes, it is a nightmare for guitarists and
bassists to tranpose more than a step but, with gadgets like the roland vg80
available, they still seem oddly opposed to it. oh well.

mike

emusic.com