Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Sat Apr 27, 2002  1:40 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Weird audition?

Karen wrote: >>The trouble is that 16 measures of ANY of those songs is
insufficient, IMO, to demonstrate my ability to sing "Climb ev'ry
mountain".<<

Let me see if I can give you a slightly different perspective on this. I
used to conduct musicals for a community theatre. While I agree with you
that 16 measures is insufficient to demonstrate the things you've been
talking about, it is often more than enough to make the first cut from a
group which may have a widely varied range of experience and abilities. I
can't tell you how many auditions I sat through where it was apparent after
3 or 4 measures that the auditioner lacked any vocal skill whatsoever. (Oh,
do I have stories...) I also sat through many auditions where 3 or 4
measures made it immediately apparent that I was hearing someone with real
talent.

If you're trying to distinguish yourself from a pack of 50 people, all of
whom have some combination of talent, ability, training and experience, for
whom the subtleties are going to make the difference, 16 measures is not
enough. If you're trying to distinguish yourself from a pack of 50 people,
many of whose best recommendation is that their mother told them they were
good singers, you won't have any problem. The real contest will be at the
callbacks.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano (momentarily out from hiding)

emusic.com