Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 25, 2002  11:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Dramatic Arias for Mezzos

In a message dated 4/25/2002 2:35:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
brightmans@y... writes:

> I'm in the process of choosing audition pieces for
> my university's voice program. I'm going to perform
> "Voi Che Sapete", but I need a dramatic aria to show
> variety. I'm leaning toward "O Ma Lyre Imortelle" by
> Gounod. I am a lyric mezzo, with a lot of vocal
> power. I have to say my acting is one of my strengths,
> but I don't want to venture into something like Verdi,

Actually, as a very full lyric myself (dramatic; who knows?) who also has
acting as my strength, I find that Dorabella's "Ah! Scostati!" is ripe with
dramatic potential and the best pick of the Mozart mezzo canon than anything
else I have ever tried. It makes for an excellent choice of a "dramatic"
aria, especially for a younger singer, and not all mezzos can do it because
of the way it sits. (Just my two cents.)
As for a contrast to the Mozart you all ready have, Massenet's "Va! Laisse
couler mes larmes" from Werther would be a wonderful option as well; short,
beautiful, dramatic and perfect for a younger singer.
TinaO

emusic.com