Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Wed Apr 24, 2002  9:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: teaching theory during voice lessons

I guess I've seen so many "mimics" in studios. They can imitate specific
singers and styles but don't sing as themselves. They can only make the
music by copying and I prefer them to try to initiate from their own
talents.

Sometimes I'll ask someone to mimic something - Julie Andrews, for example,
or an opera singer. But then I'll ask, "What did you do in order to achieve
that sound? Where was your tongue? What was your breathing like? How can
you make that part of your OWN sound?" (assuming it's something good.)

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

emusic.com