Vocalist.org archive

From:  emily0813@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 23, 2002  4:31 am
Subject:  "fake" vibrato

Hi all,

At the risk of causing confusion based on my choice of terminology, I would
like to ask a question regarding vibrato. I have two young female students
(11-13) who have developed a habit (before they came to me) of using what
I'll call "fake" vibrato. I can't exactly explain how they do it (if I knew,
I might be able to tell them how NOT to do it), but it typically only happens
at the end of a phrase or vocal exercise. All I can really say is that it
sounds "fake", it sounds like "pop" vibrato. I can imitate the sound, and
thereby get a sense of what they're doing, but I am wondering if anyone has
any suggestions or tricks that I can pass along to these girls to help fix
this issue. I try to say things like, "don't squeeze at the end of this
phrase", but then they "fall off" their breath support, and end up with a
wussy, unsupported tone. Either way, I'm worried I'm perpetuating bad habits.
I try to tell them (in not as many words) that at their age, I would be just
as happy with no vibrato, but I guess, as per usual, sounding older is
obviously better. Any suggestions, comments or ideas are welcome.
Thanks!
Emily

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18857 Study Abroad/European JobsMilena Sertich Grubor   Tue  4/23/2002
18859 Re: Study Abroad/European Jobsarado_ge   Tue  4/23/2002
18865 teaching theory during voice lessons?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Tue  4/23/2002
18866 Re: "fake" vibratoLloyd W. Hanson   Tue  4/23/2002

emusic.com