Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Mon Apr 22, 2002  6:00 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Another thought on music for young singers.

Tina said:
We see
girls/children's chorus's singing a wide variety of music from opera
choruses, Bach cantatas, and 20th century music all which requires vocal
technique, extreme ranges and maturity of voice. How is this different
from young singers studying the same music as a soloist instead of in a
group? I, for one, would rather have my daughter study one-on-one with
someone I trust rather than in a chorus doing who-knows-what with her
voice

Tina,
I think it is important to know the choir directors who work with your
children (and you have a cute one...visited your website!). I know the one
that my children are involved with (Cynthia Nott, director of the Greater
Dallas Children's Chorus), and I personally monitored rehearsals at first,
so I could see the level of music, and the vocal instruction that was given.
It is all first-rate.
I think the main difference between singing a Bach choral work and a Bach
solo piece is that you do not have to carry the load of the entire piece by
yourself when you are singing as part of a choir. The temptation to sing
past your level of proficiency is greater when singing as a soloist, for
some students anyway.
I think that if the choral director is good, that should suffice until a
girl has had some growing up (read 'gone through puberty'). Although the
voice change is not as extreme for the female voice, there are changes, and
I think it is best to wait until those have had a chance to settle.
Of course, this is merely my opinion, and is subject to change as my
daughter grows up.

David Grogan
Marshall, Texas

emusic.com