Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tina Harris" <harrisstudio@a...>
Date:  Mon Apr 22, 2002  4:54 am
Subject:  Another thought on music for young singers.

Thanks for all the literature input on opera music for young voices.
It's given me a few things to think about. But I have another thought.
I am also a choral teacher and have taught choirs of all ages. We see
girls/children's chorus's singing a wide variety of music from opera
choruses, Bach cantatas, and 20th century music all which requires vocal
technique, extreme ranges and maturity of voice. How is this different
from young singers studying the same music as a soloist instead of in a
group? I, for one, would rather have my daughter study one-on-one with
someone I trust rather than in a chorus doing who-knows-what with her
voice.
Case in point, I have a talented 15-year old singer who has sung
with a wonderful children's chorus for several years, as well as having
many, many lead rolls in community theater, everything from Mabel in
Pirates, Annie in Annie to the female lead in Oliver (I can't remember
the character's name). She finally came to me for lessons last year, at
the recommendation of her chorus teacher. She sings primarily in a
head/chest tone mix which has given her a seamless range and much
volume, although it's causing problems now that she is trying to break
into "legitimate" soprano roles with a clear and free head tone. We're
sticking with easy classics and soprano show tunes right now, so don't
rail on me for giving her songs she's not ready for. So...my point is,
shouldn't she have been studying technique with someone for years so she
could have been moving in the right direction all along? The girl is
going to sing and perform no matter what; shouldn't child singers get
training before they do damage on their own??

Tina Harris
tinamharris@a...
http://tinamharris.home.attbi.com/
http://homepage.mac.com/elbowww/mp/

Tina Harris
tinamharris@a...
http://tinamharris.home.attbi.com/
http://homepage.mac.com/elbowww/mp/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18827 Re: Another thought on music for young singers.Dean FH Macy   Mon  4/22/2002
18828 Re: Another thought on music for young singers.David   Mon  4/22/2002
18829 Re: Another thought on music for young singers.EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  4/22/2002
18831 Re: Another thought on music for young singers.bdwaydiva1   Mon  4/22/2002
18841 Re: Another thought on music for young singers.Margaret L. Harrison   Mon  4/22/2002

emusic.com