Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sun Apr 21, 2002  7:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Opera for young voices

Christine Thomas wrote:

> I definitely agree with a veering away from Disney and show tunes as sole
> repertoire choices (I love show tunes, don't get me wrong) because I think
> it's good to expose the kids to a variety of legit vocal styles.
>
> Karen suggested the Italian songs; Joan Boytim also has "Early Songs
> for the
> Beginning Soprano," which I mentioned. These are all in English, some of
> which are translations of composers' works like Schumann, Mozart, some of
> which are kind of old-fashioned but good lit. There's also a Royal
> Conservatory series of books with which I'm unfamiliar but some other
> people
> might know more about it.

Yes indeed the Royal Conservatory of Music (Toronto) has a series of
graded Songbooks from preliminary through to grade 6, with additional
volumes of vocalizes and recits for the upper grades (5 through 10 and
ARCT [Associateship of the Royal Conservatory of Toronto]). The current
syllabus is a terrific resource of graded repertoire, technical
exercises and ear training expectations. Some listers may find that
there is too much "modern" and Canadian music represented, and virtually
no music from the American Musical Theatre tradition. RCM publications
are available from the Frederick Harris Music Company.
Cheers, Craig
Burnaby, BC

emusic.com