Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 18, 2002  4:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need serious advice on a tough situation....

In a message dated 4/18/2002 6:30:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> That said, I think that if you were to call him and say you'd like to
> continue to participate because you think you'll be able to meet his
> requirements, with the caveat that he could opt not to let you perform if
> you aren't meeting his standards, if he has any sense at all, he'll say
> yes.

This is an excellent suggestion. I would add to make SURE that the attitude
you project is one of professionalism rather than desperation. (First of all,
at professional companies, they don't spend an entire week on music
rehearsals only. Everyone is expected to come with their roles all ready
learned. You have one run-through music rehearsal to start, where every meets
everybody else and gets to hear the piece in its entirety, and immediately
the staging and coaching rehearsals begin simultaneously.) So, that being
said, simply inform him that you are "used to coming to your engagements with
your music all ready learned and off book, and that you can guarantee him
that that will be the case for this engagement, as well. And let's strike a
deal that since it is double cast anyway, if he is dissatisfied with your
preparation, you will gracefully accept his decision and bow out." I would
preface this all by saying that you had blocked the time for this on your
calendar, and you are interested in seeing the committment through because of
this.
On a side note, generally, the people at these "small time" companies have
power issues, and "wannabe" insecurities, so be aware of that. Also, be aware
that if you do strike this deal with the director, he may harbor a bad
attitude towards you for the entirety of the run. He may not, but be prepared
to really deliver at 150% to avert any potential problems.
TinaO

emusic.com