Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Apr 18, 2002  1:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need serious advice on a tough situation....

Elizabeth Finkler <mightymezzo@h...> wrote about a conflict between two
gigs:

>>Last night, when I got in from rehearsal, I had a message on my machine from
the "Figaro" director. He said that in view of my excessive conflicts, he had
decided to go with just one Marcellina (the opera is double-cast). I'm out.
(It's an unpaid gig, with no contract.)

>>I'm really upset about this, so much so that I've considered ditching the
musical. Should I call the "Figaro" director and plead my case?

Elizabeth, I think the director has made a dumb decision. Since the part WAS
double-cast, he had nothing to lose by having you continue to participate -
because he could have told you he'd keep you only on condition you meet his
artistic and musical standards, which you could have agreed to or not. Now, he
has only one Marcellina cast, and if she gets sick, he's stuck!

Given the dumbness of this very simple and obvious production decision, imagine
how bad the rest of his decisions are going to be. I think that you're lucky to
be out of this gig. (What do you want to bet he'll come begging when he runs
into problems later?)

That said, I think that if you were to call him and say you'd like to continue
to participate because you think you'll be able to meet his requirements, with
the caveat that he could opt not to let you perform if you aren't meeting his
standards, if he has any sense at all, he'll say yes.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com