Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Apr 17, 2002  4:52 pm
Subject:  Need serious advice on a tough situation....

Hey gang:

I've got a problem. Several months ago, I agreed to play Marcellina in an
upcoming "Marriage of Figaro." In the intervening time, I took a ensemble
gig in a musical with another company, playing a couple of small parts and
understudying one of the principals. Before taking this job, I called the
"Figaro" company to see if the rehearsal schedule had been set. It wasn't.

As it turns out, the "Figaro" music rehearsals have started this week. The
musical opens at the end of next week, which means I have to be THERE every
night. When I learned of this, I advised the "Figaro" director of the
situation and told him that 1) I would make every effort to learn the music
on my own (I've understudied the role, so it should come back quickly I
hope) and 2) would make the music rehearsals when I'm not needed for the
musical. My schedule will loosen up a bit after the musical opens.

Last night, when I got in from rehearsal, I had a message on my machine from
the "Figaro" director. He said that in view of my excessive conflicts, he
had decided to go with just one Marcellina (the opera is double-cast). I'm
out. (It's an unpaid gig, with no contract.)

I'm really upset about this, so much so that I've considered ditching the
musical. I won't do that. I'd make too many enemies that way. (Besides,
the leading man is a drop-dead-handsome tenor.) But at the moment, I feel
as if I'll never get out of the chorus. Should I call the "Figaro" director
and plead my case?

Liz (no last name, no city, no sig line)

18772 Re: Need serious advice on a tough situation....Connie1195@a...   Thu  4/18/2002
18773 Noises while breathingDolphin aura   Thu  4/18/2002
18775 Re: Noises while breathingJohn Link   Thu  4/18/2002
18774 Re: Need serious advice on a tough situation....Margaret L. Harrison   Thu  4/18/2002
18777 Re: Need serious advice on a tough situation....Greypins@a...   Thu  4/18/2002
18778 Re: Need serious advice on a tough situation....ODivaTina@a...   Thu  4/18/2002

emusic.com