Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Apr 17, 2002  12:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs on Grimm fairy tales???

I don't know of any songs setting actual text by Grimm, but there are
songs based on Grimm's fairy tales, including:

John Duke: Rapunzel

Carl Reinecke: Wie Hansel und Gretel Birnen schuetten

Gustav Mahler: Hans und Grete (Maitanz in Gruenen)

Johannes Brahms: Dornroeschen, from Volks-Kinderlieder

I don't know what your fach is, but you may also look at appropriate arias
from:

Humperdinck: HANSEL UND GRETEL

Thomas Pasatieri: THE GOOSE GIRL

Seymour Barab: LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD; SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS

Lou Harrison: RAPUNZEL

Conrad Susa: TRANSFORMATIONS

Philip Glass: THE JUNIPER TREE

Andrew Toovey: THE JUNIPER TREE

Carl Orff: DER MOND; DIE KLUGE

Then, just for the fun of it, how about:

Happily Ever After, from Mary Rodgers' musical ONCE UPON A MATTRESS

Songs from the Disney films of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty

Hello, Little Girl (or another song), from Sondheim's INTO THE WOODS

Songs from Rodgers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA

Note that I've excluded works based on CINDERELLA because all the operatic
versions of that tale use the Charles Perrault version of the story as
their basis, not the Brothers Grimm version.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.