Vocalist.org archive

From:  "James Miller" <jt_miller@h...>
Date:  Tue Apr 16, 2002  5:30 am
Subject:  Acting (and Stanislavski)

Howdy Vocalisters!

I'm by no means a Stanislavski expert, but i do remember reading
somewhere that we Americans adopted only part of his method, and as is usual
in our rush for a product, we neglected the rest. Am I talking out of my
rear (highly possible), or is there someting to this? Any good books on the
topic of Stanislavski and method acting?
Since we're on the subject of acting...I'm wondering how much the rest
of you have focused on the acting side of the business, and what resources
you've used in doing so? The university I'm attending has separate schools
of music and drama that choose not to work together(to the detriment of both
IMHO). Unfortunately, we opera hopefuls receive fairly good vocal
instruction but little help when it comes to stage movement and general
performance practice. I've read the first book in Wesley Balk's
singing-actor series, and since then people have noticed an improvement in
my performances. There is still so much in this area I haven't explored, yet
it's hard to see a path without a guide.
And one more question so I don't have to send another post...I'm
beginning to look at grad schools and am searching for a more holistic
program for training opera singers. Any ideas on where to begin looking?

Thanks,
James

P.S. No "rrrrrr's" yet, but I'm flipping them much better! ;o)

18760 Re: Acting (and Stanislavski)Elizabeth Finkler   Tue  4/16/2002

emusic.com