Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 15, 2002  3:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Breathing exercises

In a message dated 4/13/2002 11:32:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
deanmacy@a... writes:

> Go to your dollar store and pick up a bag of 9" or 12" Helium type balloons.
> I pay $1 for 25 9". While standing, blow one up in the morning as far as
> you
> are comfortable, release the air and blow it up again. Put it aside and
> follow the same regimin at night. You may do it a third time if you wish
> during the day. Do this every day for two weeks. Your breath support will
> more than double.

Yes! And you know what is even better than that? Blow it up halfway-to-two
thirds, and while holding it between your lips (NOT your teeth) sing thru
your rep, words and all, without letting it fly out of your mouth and sputter
all about the room, and without letting it deflate. (Of course, you won't be
able to understand the text particularly, it is merely an exercise.) At any
rate, it is an INCREDIBLE exercise in appoggio when you finally get the
balance correct. For some, it takes some doing, for others, a couple tries
and they've got it down. Once you can sing the rep with the balloon, remove
it, and sing the rep without it. Match the physicality of your support system
to that which allowed you to hold the balloon between your lips while keeping
it inflated. It makes for immediate results.
TinaO

emusic.com