Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 15, 2002  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musicals from the '20s-'30s...

Other than the classic Rodgers & Hart, Gershwin, Porter, Kern, and Berlin
musicals, and the Romberg, Herbert, and Friml operettas of the '20s and
'30s, there are a number of other musicals and operettas from "across the
pond" during those two decades. The following are some of my favourite
songs from the British musicals of the interwar years. The composers, in
some cases, wrote other musicals/operettas (and songs) that you may also
want to track down.

Composer:
Show (year) - Songs

Noel Coward:
Tonight at 8:30 (1935) - Has anybody seen our ship; We were dancing
Words and Music (1932) - Mad about the boy, The party's over now
Conversation Piece (1934) - I'll follow my secret heart
Bitter Sweet (1929) - I'll see you again; If love were all; Zigeuner
This Year of Grace (1928) - A room with a view
Operette (1938) - Where are the songs we sung?; The stately homes of
England
Set to Music (1939) - I've been to a mahvellous party

Ivor Novello:
Glamorous Night (1935) - When the gypsy played
Careless Rapture (1936) - Why is there ever goodbye?
Crest of the Wave (1937) - Rose of England
The Dancing Years (1939) - Waltz of my heart, My dearest dear, I can give
you starlight, The wings of sleep

Noel Gay:
Me and My Girl (1927) - Once you lose your heart, The Lambeth walk, You
would if you could, Take it on the chin, Me and my girl, Leaning on a
lamppost, The sun has got his hat on

George Posford, Bernard Grun, & Eric Maschwitz:
Balalaika (1936) - At the Balalaika

Vivian Ellis:
Mr. Cinders (1929) - Spread a little happiness; On the Amazon

Also noteworthy are shows/songs by Addinsell, Benatzky & Stoltz (singly
and together), Mayerl, Fraser-Simon (whose Maid of the Mountains was one
of the mega-hits of the Great War era West End stage), and others.

Also noteworthy are the Continental musicals, music-theatre works, and
operettas of the interwar years, including those by Kurt Weill, Kalman,
Lehar, Jacobi, Oscar Straus, Christine', Leo Fall, Yvain, Milloecker, etc.

In the U.S., other composers of musicals during this period included
Henderson & De Sylva, Hirsch & De Sylva, Stothart, Youmans, Vernon Duke,
Fats Waller, Schwartz & Dietz, Nat Ayer, Tierney, Arlen, Harold Rome, and
on and on....

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18756 Songs on Grimm fairy tales???Trevor Allen   Tue  4/16/2002
18758 Re: Songs on Grimm fairy tales???Laura Ruiz   Tue  4/16/2002
18765 Re: Songs on Grimm fairy tales???Trevor Allen   Wed  4/17/2002
18762 Re: Songs on Grimm fairy tales???Karen Mercedes   Wed  4/17/2002

emusic.com