Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omi@u...>
Date:  Thu Apr 11, 2002  7:19 pm
Subject:  re: career with kids

Vanessa wrote:

>Maybe it is because I am turning 30 this year, but all of a sudden I am
>worried that time is running out for me. All along I have been singing as
>much as I can in church and studying with various teachers in each of the 3
>different places we have lived. I just started with a new teacher here in
>Boston and she is wonderful. But she is my age and has a lot of credits to
>her name. Am I wrong to think that I can do this after my kids are all in
>school (that could be 5-6 more years). Will I be too old then? Isn't the
>age limit on some of the contests 32 or something? I know most people get
>their careers going and then have kids but I am determined to make this
>happen.

Wonderful topic! There are so many factors to consider with this question!
A 36-year-0ld dramatic soprano may, in many ways, expect to have an easier
time making progress in the music business than a 36-year-old lyric
coloratura. Someone who enjoys oratorio and concert singing may, in many
ways, expect to have an easier time making progress in the music business
than someone who wants to do only opera. Someone with a very supportive
partner may, in many ways, expect to have an easier time making progress in
the music business than someone whose partner doesn't help around the house.

Some of the competitions do have age limits, some don't. Some auditions
will be closed to you, some won't.

If I were you, I would sit down and think clearly about what I want in a
singing career -- what kind of music is really satisfying, etc. Don't trap
yourself into thinking that if you don't sing leading roles at the MET, you
won't have had a good career. Even the best of the ones who start right
out of college don't all reach that goal. (They are competing against a
whole world of people who want the same thing!) Use your imagination and
dream up goals both large and small, and figure out what it would take to
reach them. The more specific you are, the more likely you are to reach
those goals. (Ah, if only I were more responsive to my own advice!)

One really important thing to remember is that the point of being a singer
is to sing; the size or prestige of the audience is secondary.

Best of luck!
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com