Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Apr 9, 2002  5:04 pm
Subject:  Speech-based opera singers WAS: trading low notes for a higher tessitura?

John Link <johnlink@n...> wrote:
> TinaO wrote:
> >(The same thing used to happen to me; it doesn't anymore since
> >working with Deborah, who teaches speech based singing.)
>
> Do any opera singers practice speech-based singing? If so, do they
> sound like opera singers?

I sound more like an opera singer since I've been studying with my
current teacher. BUT, I think some of the bad habits I had that are
stereotypical to opera singers (such as artificial darkening) are
disappearing :-)

There are "classical" teachers who teach singing at the speech level,
such as my own teacher. It is related to Seth Riggs' specific SLS
technique, but they're not *officially* related. As I understand it,
Riggs has a certification program for teaching his version of singing at
the level of speech. Riggs has some successful opera students, but I
believe his main clientele is pop singers.

Riggs himself says his technique is based on the bel canto ideals of
"sing as one speaks" and "one voice, one register." He has no monopoly
on bel canto, he has simply applied some tried and true ideas to
different vocal styles. This technique is still getting taught in the
opera world.

It is possible to apply the concept of singing as one speaks to opera
singing, without losing the "operatic" quality. I know several opera
singers who subscribe to this idea who have gigantic, ringing voices.

Tako

emusic.com