Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Tue Apr 9, 2002  4:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The doctor said, reflux and some general comments.

Too many traditional medical professors use fear and
> intimidation when students do not have the necessary information at
> their fingertips so many doctors develop a discomfort with questioning
> and a compensatory air of infallibility. Yes, it's counterproductive
> and many of us in medical education are trying to stop it, but these
> things change slowly. So, don't be afraid to say, "I don't understand,
> could you explain it further" or "I can help myself more with more
> knowledge." Then if you don't get the time or attention you need, find
> someone else. There are a lot of doctors who will take the time to
> educate you.
>

> John Messmer, M.D.
> Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
> Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Thank you so much! And thanks to Karen as well...because this is the
feeling I got when I had my visit yesterday. God forbid you should do any
research on the net about your throat. And on a funny note...when the
doctor first entered the room he said "which one is it the right or the left
or both" which tipped me off that he hadn't even read my chart. He did
mention weight as well...and he is correct I am a big girl and could stand
to lose a LOT of weight. And I didn't actually like the man at all....I
have met doctors like that before...I worked for a physician for 6 years and
was involved in ALL aspects of her practice, I sterilized instruments and I
assisted in surgery...I am really really not stupid. And I enjoy and
understand medical terminology. (I think most people like to have as much
information as they can) in fact my VET gives me more information in a visit
than I got yesterday. But what he suggested already seems to be
working...hopefully I will be able to contend with the reflux without the
VERY expensive meds. (maybe an over the counter remedy) combined with
different diet practices.

But I am amazed that my tonsils did so much to keep my throat sore. I made
it through Alerseelen this morning without cringing!

Lea Ann

emusic.com