Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  10:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] trading low notes for a higher tessitura?

In a message dated 4/8/2002 10:39:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

> This happens to me to, and my speaking voice is affected as well. I could
> continue to sing in the stratosphere for ages but the lower part just goes.
>
> I asked my teacher about this and she said this was common but didn't know
> why. I just sort of assumed that after being stretched and thinned out the
> cords have a hard time loosening up for the lower pitches. Even so, this
> is
> only a guess and I really don't have a clue.

Yes, this is common, however, that doesn't mean it is acceptable. This should
actually not happen at all. You should be able to sing through out your whole
range and never lose any part of it. If you stay on your speech, and keep the
larynx stable and comfortably low, you should be able to extend to the top of
your range comfortably and then descend into the low recesses with strength
and consistency through out, no matter how long you sing in either range. The
fact that you have trouble with this is actually a symptom of a tense and
raised larynx. (The same thing used to happen to me; it doesn't anymore since
working with Deborah, who teaches speech based singing.)
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18587 Re: trading low notes for a higher tessitura?John Link   Mon  4/8/2002

emusic.com