Vocalist.org archive

From:  "taylor23ferranti" <taylor23f@h...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  9:20 pm
Subject:  TA, CT and Zemlin

> Zemlin states that one of the main purposes of the TA muscle is
that of a
> (longitudinal) tensor.
>
> Randy Buescher

******************

Dear Randy and listers,

I think our disagreement here is more a matter of semantics:) I
comletely agree with your Zemlin quote above. His book, "Speech and
Hearing Science" is a very important addition to the literature.
Some recent scientific research has found that Fo control for singing
is different from control for speech. And speech research is
Zemlin's area of focus.

In describing the CT Zemlin writes, "the distance between the thyroid
cartilage and the vocal processes is increased to elongate the vocal
folds....action that is necessary for pitch changes."

In the Hirano EMG study (1969) they found that Fo was primarily
controlled by CT...while the LCA and TA were of secondary
importance. Shipp and McGlone (1971) found that CT and TA muscles
act synergistically to regulate Fo, but that CT is primary and TA is
secondary. So it appears that while CT is most positively related to
Fo, TA comes in a close 2nd, as the Zemlin quote implies.

In his 1988 paper from Journal of Voice, Hirano includes this helpful
table of laryngeal muscle action-

CT VOC (TA)

Length Elongate Shorten
Thickness Thin Thicken
Edge Sharpen Round
Muscle (Body) Stiffen Stiffen
Muscosa (cover + transition) Stiffen Slacken

Great discussion!

Taylor L. Ferranti
Certificate of Vocology
DMA Candidate in Voice Science/Voice Performance
Louisiana State University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18546 Re: The chart in my post (sorry).......taylor23ferranti   Sun  4/7/2002
18547 I give up!@$$^&*&_)(*taylor23ferranti   Sun  4/7/2002

emusic.com