Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zurcher" <AZurcher@i...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

I wrote :

>I was
>wondering whether there was a mode in which the vocal folds would never be
>really open : they would only let small puffs, "bubbles" of air make their
>air [typo : read "way"!]
> between them, but either the bottom or the top part of the folds would
>always be adducted.

You (Reg) answered :

>Alain I really do not know, except to suggest that such a situation would
be
>defective condition because the closed phase should be just that ..closed.

In my description (especially with the typo corrected as above!), it is
rather the open phase that would disappear... Air "bubbles" would come
through, without the whole "height" of the vocal folds ever being abducted
at the same time... Whenever an air puff escapes from the top of the vocal
folds, the bottom would already be closed... Does it actually happen? Could
it happen???

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur
| http://chanteur.net

18562 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002

emusic.com