Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitis

Dear Valevanni:

You quoted me:
>--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
>wrote:
>> the results of swollen vocal folds. Because the /i/ vowel tends to
>> make adduction of the vocal more easily complete as well as raising
>> eppiglottis it is easier to phonate on the /i/ vowel when the vocal
>> folds are swollen. The /a/ vowel makes adduction a bit less
>> automatic and the vocal fold swelling will be more obvious.

To which you replied:
>I have a contrary experience: since I have laringitis, my /i/ has
>gotten worse much more than other vowels (followed by /u/).

COMMENT: I am not a physician, as I am sure is obvious, but from my
experience as a teacher of voice the different reactions you are
experiencing can be caused by different degrees of vocal fold
swelling and even which portion of the vocal folds are swollen. I
would suggest that you see an Ear-Nose-Throat physician or, better
yet, a laryngologist.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com