Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  7:12 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] vocal fold function regarding vowels/laryngitis

Dr. Lloyd wrote: <<<Infection, reaction from exposure to strong
chemical agents, overuse, abuse, allergies, etc>>>

I’m glad to know this and I know many people who blame vocal hoarseness
on “laryngitis” however there does seem to be a very particular form of
this type of swelling due to a virus and out here an awful virus has
been going around as was in December. I had 8 students out of lessons
in one week which is very unusual and have heard news reports of 2/3rd’s
of student populations being missing at elementary schools. I didn’t
have any students with laryngitis this time... mostly strep throat,
fevers and bad colds.

My ears are (ear) hyper sensitive to vocal hoarseness problems because
of my own problems with allergies and choir director voice syndrome that
I can tell within a few notes or conversation if the problem is because
of speech pattern, yelling at a concert or Mariners game, lack of sleep
or an actual virus. I wish I had the scientific vocabulary to back up
my uncanny intuition, but alas.. I don’t! I do intent do get that Bert
Coffin book and a vowel mirror one of these days! The Scarecrow Book
Press catalog is sitting on my library shelf staring at me…..

Deanna

---

emusic.com