Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Apr 6, 2002  11:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] For Sally.... :)

Thank you Lloyd but no... I do not suggest by any means
that a square wave or complete closure is the only contact
mode. On the contrary it seems essential that other effective
contact formations would occur. The trapezoidal form for
example has all the harmonics. My interest in the square
wave in particular is in the relatively large energy content in the
early odd harmonics. A square wave shape is extremely
advantageous if excitation of one or more resonant cavities
is the primary goal.

I'd be interested to know if in the observation of the tract you
were in a position to observe altering patterns of cord contact
and the related harmonic content.

Referring once again to the square wave form of contact of
the cords... it is not essential that the contact formation be
perfect. A slight rounding of the contact corners, that is a
slowing of the rate of contact and release, would only reduce
the upper odd harmonics without being at all detrimental to the
3rd or 5th. The forever intriguing part for me is that the "pressure
wave" and "rate of flow" wave, the two component parts of energy,
are 90 degrees displaced one from the other. Such a relationship
is a classic flywheel, potential energy description, yet with a
velocity altering from pitch to pitch.

Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18520 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Sat  4/6/2002
18524 Re: For Sally.... :)Sally Collyer   Sun  4/7/2002
18530 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Sun  4/7/2002
18545 Re: For Sally.... :)Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002
18557 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002
18560 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002
18652 Belting ?bjjocelyn@p...   Wed  4/10/2002

emusic.com