Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Thu Apr 4, 2002  4:01 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Male/Female registers (was: how do you define 'head voice'?)

Sundberg (p.133).... this suggests that a raised larynx is generally
associated with a general muscle tension in the voice organ......

I looked at Zemlin also, and he states that extrinsic musculature plays a
part in adduction and pitch regulation but the relationships are so complex
that it is hard to determine the exact role of each group.

My conclusions come more from my work in dysphagia (swallowing disorders) in
which it is a well known fact that a raised larynx is a very important part
of the process. It not only helps open the upper esophageal sphincter but
relates to tightly closed folds and laryngeal vestibule.

Randy Buescher

Thanks, Randy! I was wondering if the effect of the folds adducting might
just be _related to_ the extrinsic musculature, and not _caused by_ their
involvement. What is the title of the Zemlin book? I don't have that one,
and I want to look it up. Thanks!

David Grogan
Marshall, Texas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18496 David Grogan's poststhomas mark montgomery   Thu  4/4/2002

emusic.com