Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Thu Apr 4, 2002  2:54 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Male/Female registers (was: how do you define 'head voice'?)

Randy said...
************************
Extrinsic musculature (suprahyoid muscles) are used in the act of swallowing
to move the larynx superiorly and anteriorly which in turn creates a very
tight closure of the folds (they close more tightly in this act than in any
other). The excessively lifted larynx in singing approaches this position
contributing to excessive tension and higher subglottal pressure.
***********************

David here:

Randy,

I hate to keep bothering you, but I have another question. I have read
nowhere that the extrinsic muscles have anything to do with adducting the
vocal folds. Can you give me a source? Thanks!

Randy also said...
*************************
An excessively lowered larynx can do the same. Brodnitz (p. 83) speaks of
this in Keep your Voice Healthy. In his discussion of covered singing, with
an excessively lowered larynx, he states that measurements of airflow in
this
production are twice what they are in a more open manner of singing. The
reason is because of greater tension of the outer laryngeal muscles and
intrinsic ones also. The excessive recruitment of high larynx muscles will
do the same.

David here:

When you say that an excessively lowered larynx can do the same, do you mean
that it can cause a tight closure of the folds? I ask because you say
Brodnitz says there is more airflow, which would indicate a weaker closure
of the folds to me.

Thanks for the insight,
David Grogan
Marshall, Texas