Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Apr 3, 2002  6:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cat Songs

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, hraiswell wrote:

> Hi
> I sing in a quartet and am looking for songs to do with cats arranged
> for SATB - apart from Rossini cat duet (which is for 2 of course) and
> CATS the musical, has anyone any nice ideas ? I believe there is a
> Copland song called I bought me a cat, and i was thinking of
> Mancini's Pink Panther theme - does anyone know if there is an SATB
> version of that and where i might buy it online (preferably in Italy
> or UK).

I'm going to presume you'd like to stick with domestic cats, and not
branch out into lions, tigers, leopards, and panthers.

Unfortunately, most cat-themed compositions seem to be instrumental or for
solo voice. That said, there are a few choral pieces about cats that I can
think of:

Mary Goetze did a choral arrangement of the American folk-song "The Cat
Came Back"; it's published by Magna Music (Baton Rouge).

The first is from Britten's cantata REJOICE IN THE LAMB op. 30 (SATB
chorus, ATB soloists, organ): "For I will consider my cat Jeoffrey".

In John Rutter's FIVE CHILDHOOD LYRICS: "The Owl and the Pussycat".

In Ned Rorem's choral song cycle WHAT IS PINK? (6 songs for chorus and
piano), "The Mysterious Cat".

Douglas Moore set the same Vachel Lindsay poem in his 3-part choral song
"The Mysterious Cat".

There is a cycle of songs for chorus by Roger Vogel, called CATS AND BATS
AND THINGS WITH WINGS - the first choral song in the cycle is "The Cat".

There is also a piece for vocal ensemble by Nancy Karpeles called
"Sparrows and Cats"; it was recorded by the Emsemble Galilei.

In Veljo Tormis' VESPIAN PATHS, "Pussy-cat, pussy-cat".

Johann Caspar Seyfert: "Quodlibeticum: Wir haben drey Katzen" (based on
German folk-song)

Michael Wise's catch (part-song): "A catch on the midnight cats"

Just to let others know who might be seeking the same thing, there are
some other cat-oriented solo songs and duets:

John Cage: "little four paws", from Five Songs for Contralto, Voice, and
Piano

Christoph E.F. Weyse: "Cat Cavatina"

Hugo Wolf: "Mausfallen-Spruechlein", from 6 songs for female voice

Warlock: "Oh, my kitten" from FIVE NURSERY JINGLES

Barber: "The Monk and his Cat", from Hermit Songs

Ravel: Duet for l'Horloge et le Chat, from L'ENFANT ET LES SORTILEGES

Satie: "Chanson du chat" from LUDIONS

Poulenc: "Ba, be, bi, bo, bou" from LA COURTE PAILLE

Sauguet: "Chat" from LES ANIMAUX ET LEURS HOMMES; "Le chat I" and "Le chat
II" from SIX MELODIES SUR DES POEMES SYMBOLISTES

Diepenbrock: "Les Chats"

Betty Roe: "An appeal to cats in the business of love" (soprano and double
bass)

Jehan Alain: "Chanson du Chat"

David Baker: "Le chat qui peche" (soprano, orchestra, jazz quartet)

Claude Ballif: "Le chat" from LE CORTEGE D'ORPHEE

Lina Pizzuto: "Le chat dans le nuit"

Robert Desnos: "La petite chat qui ne ressemble a rien"

Moniuszko: "Kotek (The little cat)"

Flavio Testi: "Cantata Quarta (Viens, mon beau chat)", op. 31

Alfred Uhl: "Hund und Katze" from VIER LIEDER AUS DER HEITEREN KANTANTE
"WER EINSAM IST, DER HAT ES GUT"

Juerg Wyttenbach: "Von der Katze ein Stuecke" (voice and violin)

Andre Grassi: "Le chat cure'"
Stravinsky: "The Owl and the Pussycat"; and his 5 BERCEUSES DU CHAT (for
alto voice and 3 clarinets)

Guy Sacre: "Chat" from 6 POEMES DE "VOCABULAIRE"

Jean-Joel Barbier: "Chanson du chat gris"

Milhaud: "Le Chat" (same Cocteau poem as set by Sacre)

Schoenberg: "Der genuegsame Liebhaber" from BRETTL-LIEDER

von Einem: "Katzenlied" from VIER TIERLIEDER

Loewe: "Die Katzenkoenigin", op. 64 #3

Manuel Rosenthal: "Le petit chat est mort" from CHANSONS DU MONSIEUR BLEU

Sorabji: "Les Chats" (same Baudelaire poem set by Diepenbrock)

Michael Head: "The Matron Cat's Song"

Ginastera: "Gato"

German folk song: "Der Vogel singt, die Katze schnurrt"

Chanson populaire du Vivarais (French folk-song): "La vielle et le chat"

Nursery rhyme: "Ding dong dell, the pussy's in the well" (in German, known
as "A B C, die Katze lief im Schnee")

Cat-Themed Operas and other major vocal works:

Henze: DIE ENGLISCHE KATZE

Vladimir Kojoukharov: LE PARADIS DE CHATS

Ruth Gipps: THE CAT (cantata for contralto, baritone, double chorus,
orchestra), op. 32

Andrew Lloyd Webber: CATS

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18451 Re: Cat SongsLaura Ruiz   Wed  4/3/2002
18455 Re: The amazing Karen (was Cat Songs)Jennifer   Wed  4/3/2002
18502 Re: Cat Songsdrama_diva_au   Thu  4/4/2002

emusic.com