Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Apr 3, 2002  3:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Re: how do you define 'head voice'?

Mike:

Call voice is chest voice produce at a frequency level that is higher
than should be achieved in chest voice. The vocalis muscles are
still very active and under great longitudinal and medial tension.
The phonated tone reflects this tension and represents an emotional
level that we associate with pain, or a call for help, or, in today's
method acting system, a kind of stage "reality". In this sense, it
is no more real than is a carefully trained acting system that is
based on technique and the effects of such technique.

No evaluation of value is intended here. My preferences are not
relevant. I only suggest that a definition of what is physically
present and occurring is necessary and productive to teaching the
singer those skills that are necessary for their desired performance
venue and, at the same time, are founded on sound physiological and
continuously reproducible techniques. Too often, the end result or
product is the only method of evaluation that is considered and the
method of achieving that product, that is, the process, is ignored.
The eventual result is a voice that is affected in such a manner
that it is no longer able to function in a healthy and efficient
manner. Product must organically develop from a process that is
sound physiologically and healthy if the performer is to expect a
long life in the performance field.

As always, you ask the most demanding and interesting questions. I
hope I can add to their answers in some small way.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com