Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Apr 2, 2002  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Acting programs in the South?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, David Grogan wrote:

> I am looking for any opera friendly acting programs (or coaches, for that
> matter) anywhere near Texas. I have always felt uncomfortable on the stage,
> and I would like to take some proactive steps to help. Any suggestion?
> They don't have to be near Texas, but that would be helpful to me...

Don't rule out the idea of taking a non-operatic acting class - either
musical or not. Particularly nowadays, with the increasing demand for
singers who can truly *act*, and act "naturalistically", you may find that
getting some acting technique under your belt, without the added
"distraction" of all of the musical and vocal concerns that opera adds,
may actually be more helpful, as it will let you concentrate fully on
"the basics" like how to move onstage, how to interpret text, how to
interact with other actors, etc. Particularly a class that includes (or
focuses on) Shakespearean literature and technique: I've found that the
Shakespearean work I did when I studied "straight" acting has definitely
influenced and informed my operatic acting, because of similar demands in
terms of marry text to the "music" - in the case of Shakespeare, the
poetry (rhythms, accents, etc.) of the verse - and the balane one must
strike between 20th century "naturalism" and the lyricism required by the
Elizabethan sensibilities that cannot (SHOULD not) be ignored in the
texts.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18420 Re: Acting programs in the South?Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  4/2/2002

emusic.com