Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Apr 2, 2002  1:04 am
Subject:  Ethel Merman

>> :) My god ..how old ARE you dear? :)
>> I'm pretty old and all I ever heard was ..bad bad bad.
>> Maybe there was an export ban on the good stuff. :)
>
>I'm not that old, but I've heard some old recordings -- 30s, early 40s.

Interesting.. :) in the 40s the best quality medium
for recording sound, was optical sound track on film.
I used to haunt movies at that age because my dad was
the projectionist and I GOT IN FREE. Naturally I had my
favourites chosen by my youthful untainted values.
Now Lilly Pons....yes..... Jennette MacDonald .. ummm..
alright then...but ..the lady under discussion I hated with
a fervor usually reserved for our bitter enemies of the time.

Have yet to hear a reason to revise my youthful opinion
and remain impressed by my early musical taste. :)

emusic.com