Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  2:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

I couldn't agree more with Lloyd here. In particular, this issue reminds
me of a young student at my undergraduate university who so impressed the
faculty and the student body with his absolutely lovely high range as an
entering freshman. However, it was not long before the voice began to
mature and it became apparent to everyone that this young tenor was in
actuality a young baritone with an incredibly beautiful supported
falsetto, taking him up to high C and beyond. He has since made a solid
career in contemporary Christian music where he continues to sing in this
manner. In the same way, I chuckle to myself everytime I hear the
non-falsetto countertenor argument espoused - I ask myself: if this isn't
falsetto, where is the dynamic and color variety?

On a side note: Lea Ann - stop and think a moment here! If you are
having technical problems in your upper range that are giving you a sore
throat, then perhaps you should quit vocalizing so high. Why ingrain
technical problems that are difficult to break when you are currently
without the services of a teacher? From your posts, I have assumed you
are a young singer - lay off the high As. Get your upper middle voice
down before you worry about the top. Do that and the top will be a snap.

Mark

P.S. mike - 'm' and 'b' both have similar nasal qualities. 'b' begins
with a similar sound, except it helps to raise the soft palate.

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:

> as head voice. Any singer who can do both head voice and supported
> falsetto will tell you there is a world of difference between these
> two completely different vocal functions.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21316 to: Mark Montgomery WAY BELATED REPLY RE: how do you define 'head voTako Oda takooda Fri  12/6/2002
21317 Files, was Re: to: Mark Montgomery WAY BELATEDMichael chosdad Fri  12/6/2002
21318 Help finding Schubert sheet music, Bax recordingKaren Mercedes singwiththespirit Fri  12/6/2002

emusic.com