Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  6:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

At 01:28 AM 31/03/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/31/2002 1:12:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>bandb@n... writes:
>

>> Resonance adjustment with the mouth, using
>> pure vowels is essential to optimizing the acoustic
>
>reg,
>
> are you saying this is a requirement for head voice or, makes singing
>in head voice easier or, is this really a seperate issue dependent on usage
>(as in, specifically used in the performance of classical vocal music)?
>
>mike

My feeling with this is that the physical balance of the vibrating
cords, particularly because there is this asymmetrical component,
needs the optimum reflected load from the upper resonance system.
That makes it most essential in the upper range.

If the purity of the vowel is sought, then transient disturbances
such as from fricatives and word transitions will not interfere with
the ease of PRODUCTION.

Again, I think when Lloyd says....

"The vowels have a strong effect on the transition from chest
voice to head voice." ....he is implying something similar.
In fact, I find that when this approach is balanced, there is little
consciousness of the difference between chest and head voice
at all. So this means is is necessary for the WHOLE range.

emusic.com