Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  6:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

The question. How do YOU define headvoice?

My answer...not falsetto. Falsetto implies an almost total
absence of ODD harmonics of the fundamental frequency.
Falsetto also requires no contact of the cords. This is
a minimization of what I think is implied by Lloyd Hanson
when he says the differences are phonational.

Head voice requires cord contact but will most likely be
asymmetrical in this contact, thus producing the required
harmonics or overtones, as some like to call them.

The support of the lung system with the rib cage, is also a
part of the phonation and cannot be separated from the
definition. There is more energy needed for the head voice
and so the body needs a reliable technique to ensure its
stability.

Resonance adjustment with the mouth, using
pure vowels is essential to optimizing the acoustic

18402 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Sally Collyer   Tue  4/2/2002
18403 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Reg Boyle   Tue  4/2/2002

emusic.com