Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  5:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

In a message dated 3/30/2002 11:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> Hmmmm well it remains ever elusive to me...and I hope while I learn more I
> don't do any damage...because that's a fear of mine....singing up to an A
> flat below high C and not being sure you are doing it in head tone...it's a
> yikes moment.

lea ann,

there would be a very distinct difference in the timbre between
'chest' and 'head' on an Ab below high C for a mezzo singing in the classical
style (there would probably also be a difference in the amount of blood
spurting out of your mouth). if you were singing in chest on that note, it
would be, in no way imaginable, a sound considered appropriate for classical
rep.

mike

emusic.com