Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Mon May 22, 2000  6:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Hurting support muscles was: 1st recital, longish etc.

Dre,
Hope I didn't make you feel defensive, as I mentioned, I jumped into the
thread midstream.
I'm glad that you are freeing up in your upper registers...........you
have found that less air IS better the higher you go.
As for the pianissimos on the low end. This should be easy also. Here's
how. Make sure that you have dropped completely out of head voice or mix and
are singing pure chest. Basically, say the notes on pitch and add a little
legato phrasing and you should be set. Singing piano down low is as easy as
speaking down low. The only thing I would watch for is making sure that the
song really is appropriately keyed for you. ALthough our cords can shorten
and thin, theoretically, an infinite amount of time, allowing us to sing
higher and higher, each one of us are limited as to our lower range by the
length and thickness of the cords we have been given. Much like our other
physical attributes.
Happy singing and I hope this helps!
Mary Beth Felker- Osborn
Oh, by the way, another great vocal pedagogy author to check out is Fredrick
Brodnitz. He has some great photos showing the shortening and thinning and
dampening of the cords that I was talking about.

emusic.com