Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  3:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

My brushes with the definition of head voice have left me wanting. According to
the two teachers I have had so far....

Head voice....different from chest voice in that the sound resonates in the
nasal passages. Produced by lifting palate and projecting sound
upward/outward...through the nose, through the eyes, through the top of the
head....apparently the sound is supposed to spin. I have been told that the
sound vibrates the teeth, the nose etc. I have been told to try making a Kaw
Kaw Kaw noise like a crow, to make a squeaky door noise, talk like Mickey Mouse
and sustain it as a note.

I finally thought I had a grasp of it...and now...well who knows

But that's what head voice has meant to me. Feel free to critique all you
want....I am a mere mezzo in training.

Lea Ann

emusic.com