Vocalist.org archive

From:  "william_h_flanders" <flanders@d...>
Date:  Sat Mar 30, 2002  10:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] why female pop singers don't use head voice, much

> It is my impression from listening to male rock singers that they
> either do 'quasi' singing in their speaking voice (quasi, because
> they do not often attempt to complete the melodic structure of the
> song in this range) or they sing in their falsetto voice. I cannot
> remember the time I last heard a male rock singer use head voice.
>
> Lloyd W. Hanson
> Flagstaff, Arizona

I have to disagree with the statement that male rock singers
do not use their head voice. Many rock singers are baritones,
but it is fashionable for singing to be at the tenor range.

Bono of U2 sings in head voice a huge percentage of the
time. Of course, Smokey Robinson... There are so many
examples. Almost always when a singer has a low speaking
voice (and many rock singers do) they have to use a combination
of head voice and, sometimes, falsetto to achieve these notes.

Often times, as in the case of the oft-sited Jeff Buckley,
their voices are very well blended so you can't even tell that
its head voice. It may be even more resonant than their chest
voice because the nasal resonance can be additive at certain
blends.

Bill Flanders
Austin, Texas

emusic.com