Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sat Mar 30, 2002  5:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] bone conduction and me singing jazz

Trevor said:

lightened up my voice some so that it wouldn't
> sound like a classical singer trying to show he's
> "versatile". When I was practicing, my teacher would
> say that I needed to raise the pitch, that I wasn't in
> the core of the tone, but rather hanging toward the
> bottom, that I wasn't completely flat, but what I was
> sining wasn't completely right.
******************************

Trevor,

One consideration is subglottic pressure, or the amount of breath "flow" you
allow through your vocal cords. In operatic, or classical, singing there is
usually a greater amount of subglottic pressure. This makes the sound
louder, and also has a tendency to make the pitch go sharp. Most good
singers learn to compensate for the change in pitch when you add subglottic
pressure. It could be that you are lessening that pressure, but not
adjusting for the pitch.

FWIW,
David Grogan
Marshall, Texas