Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Mar 28, 2002  4:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Memorizing parts

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/2002 5:03:17 AM Central Standard Time,
> mirkoruckels@i... writes:
>

> > Does anybody have any good memorization techniques?
>

> There's going to be a chat on this very subject on April 7 on NATS Chats. I
> have been taking correction tape and putting over first the words and then
> the melody line of the music I'm learning for the Kilpinen competition next
> week. That way I can play the piano part and sing the music from memory
> without cheating and looking at the words/music. It's working well - the
> tape peels off without damaging the music although it does make the sheets
> somewhat sticky. I discovered this yesterday when I peeled off the tape to
> copy the music for the coach I worked with. I think that will be resolved if
> I take an eraser to it... I hope.

A less sticky alternative is to make two photocopies of the music, one in
which you can then white out the words, and the other in which you can
white out the vocal music line. You won't have to worry about removing the
tape later, if you do it this way. Of course, this isn't particularly
practical for a 200-page score, but it's certainly do-able for a 40-page
song cycle, a few arias, etc.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,