Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robert Edgar" <redgar@b...>
Date:  Mon Mar 25, 2002  4:04 am
Subject:  Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!

Hello everyone, this is my first posting and I've got a tricky one for you
to read, think about and comment on please.

I've been asked by another singing teacher in another town to hold a Vocal
Pedagogy discussion -like a forum - as a result of a letter sent to the
local secondary school college choir conductor from a mother of one of the
students.

It reads:-
On the recent ***College choir camp you (conductor) forced her (15year old
daughter/student classified by her singing teacher as a lyric soprano) to
sing as a second soprano which made her have to sing from her chest and not
her larynx.
As she had picked up a cold from her room mate on the camp, being forced to
sing in a lower register has now exacerbated into a full stage medical
problem. She now has skeleto-muscular damage to her rib cage.
This has also exacerbated her latent asthma which has always been controlled
with homeopathic remedies and desensitasition drops. She now has to have a
Ventolin inhaler because of the damage that has been done to her lungs.
Becuase of forcing her to sing in this lower register, I have today incurred
a medical bill of $** and a chemist bill of $**.
I request that your re-instastate her as a first soprano and pay attention
to the medical problems that certain children face and pay attention to
their lvoe of singing, not the needs of the choir.

Your thoughts!!!!
Robyn Edgar
redgar@b...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18251 Re: Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!David   Mon  3/25/2002
18252 Re: Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!buzzcen@a...   Mon  3/25/2002
18254 Re: Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!james   Mon  3/25/2002
18258 Re: Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!Margaret L. Harrison   Mon  3/25/2002
18285 Re: Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!Cynthia Donnell   Wed  3/27/2002

emusic.com